Bariatric Surgeon in Chennai

Friday, 3 June 2016

Gallstones Treatment in Chennai

Gallstones are hard deposits in your gallbladder, a little organ that stores bile, which is a digestive liquid made in the liver. Gallstones may comprise of cholesterol, salt, or bilirubin. The size of gallstones ranges from as small as a grain to as large as an apricot.

Gallstones Treatment in Chennai


Types of Gallstones

The segments in bile can take shape and solidify in your gallbladder, leading to gallstones. Studies show that, 80 percent of gallstones are made of cholesterol. The other 20 percent of gallstones are made of calcium salts and bilirubin. 

Cholesterol Stones - These are normally yellow-green in color. They're the most widely recognized kind, representing 80% of gallstones. 

Pigment Stones - These stones are smaller and darker. They're comprised of bilirubin, which originates from bile, a liquid your liver makes and your gallbladder stores or deposits.

Causes of Gallstones

There might be a few reasons including :
  • Weight
  • Genes
  • Diet 
  • Problems related with gallbladder
Symptoms :

Gallstones may bring about no signs or indications at its early stage. If the gallstones accumulate in a duct the following symptoms can occur. 
  • Feel sudden and increased sensitivity pain in the upper portion and center portion of the abdomen  
  • Back pain between your shoulder bones 
  • Pain in your right shoulder
Gallstone pain  can  last from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

Diagnosis and Treatment Procedure

The following diagnosis methods are used for identifying gallstones.

Physical examination reveals tenderness in the upper right quadrant and a palpable infiltrate.

Blood Test - Blood studies conducted should include a CBC differential count, amylase, lipase, liver function panel and blood culture.

Abdominal radiography is taken by placing the patient in an upright and supine position. Mixed gallstones containing sufficient calcium will appear opaque on plain films.

Ultrasonography captures gallstones as echogenic foci within the gall bladder. The study is especially useful in the diagnosis of acute cholecystitis.

CT scan or computed tomography is used to take images of the abdominal viscera in the presence of abdominal pain.

MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging is done along with cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) for non-invasive investigation of gallstones in the bile duct and the biliary tract.


Dr Deepak S , one of the Eminent Gastroenterologist offers advanced Gallstone Treatment in Chennai.


For More Enquiry Mail Us : gastroenterologychennai@gmail.com